Thursday, February 23, 2017

How to turn an old PC case into a test bench — and save money

Needing a test bench to test various PC components, I turned to various prebuilt solutions that are available to buy and put together.

Unfortunately, as covered in our piece on whether you should buy a test bench platform or build one yourself, this can prove to be very expensive. For a solid test bench, you could spend up to $200, so I took a long hard look around and noticed I still had an old NZXT S340 case collecting dust. My virtual light bulb shone as bright as a sunrise.

My idea was to turn the old case into an open platform, which could then sit on a desk or be raised above my Xbox One to save on surface space. This project led me to invest in a few new tools (some of which were long overdue), so this wasn't completely free. But I didn't go anywhere near some of the price tags I've seen. Here's what I used for this little project:

  • Bosch angle grinder.
  • B&Q electric-powered drill and screwdriver.
  • Various metal filers.
  • Metal (and other material) adhesive.
  • Eye protection and gloves.



from Windows Central - News, Forums, Reviews, Help for Windows Phone http://ift.tt/2l4g0Qe
via IFTTT

No comments:

Post a Comment