Friday, February 24, 2017

5 good reasons to keep the faith in Windows 10 Mobile

"Windows 10 Mobile is dead!" is a common mantra these days. But I'm here to say that you'll have to pry my Lumia 950 XL from my cold, dead hands. Here's why.

"Windows on phones" might be in decline, but there was a point where it felt like the ecosystem genuinely had some momentum, particularly in Europe, where Windows Phone took some key market share milestones in countries such as Germany, Italy and the UK. That's all behind us now, however.

Microsoft purchased Nokia's phone division a couple of years back and quickly set about dismantling its hardware strategy. You know the story.

When you combine the cancellation of McLaren, the lack of enthusiasm from third-party devs, hardware makers, carriers and arguably Microsoft itself, fans have found themselves in an awkward position. The free-fall decline of "Windows on phones" as an entity led to Microsoft's current "retrenchment," while it repositioned itself for the next attempt to enter the market. We can argue for hours about Microsoft's Windows Phone strategy, but I'm not here to discuss that today.

My first Windows Phone: The underrated HTC 8X.

Following this week's Ask Dan episode where our dapper editor-in-chief discussed those of us who still use Windows 10 Mobile, I thought I'd offer some reasons why I stick around, and why I'm still hopeful for the future.

I primarily write about Xbox, and there's no rule that anyone here has to use a Windows 10 Mobile device. But I do so 100 percent by choice. Here are five reasons why.



from Windows Central - News, Forums, Reviews, Help for Windows Phone http://ift.tt/2lA0Vcw
via IFTTT

No comments:

Post a Comment