Wednesday, September 26, 2018

Oculus Quest hands-on: Everything I've ever wanted in a VR headset

Color me impressed, and give me a way to buy one of these right now.

The future of VR for most people is wireless. Google, HTC, and Oculus have all demonstrated a desire to move in this direction, but removing the cable has always meant some kind of sacrifice to performance. Moving around in VR without a tether, taking a step backward in graphics isn't what I want either. Last year at its Oculus Connect conference, a select few including myself were taken into a back room to see early prototypes for what was then called Santa Cruz. Oculus made it clear during these previews the overall goal was to deliver something with "Rift quality" graphics without a tether. At the time, Santa Cruz wasn't quite there. The tracking was a little funky, and the graphics weren't quite there.

A year has passed, and the prototype known as Santa Cruz has been officially announced as the $399 Oculus Quest. You'll be able to buy one for yourself this Spring, and after a few hours with the headset, it couldn't be more clear this is my new favorite headset. In fact, I'm going to have a lot of trouble picking up my existing VR rig when I get home.

Gloriously untethered



from Windows Central - News, Forums, Reviews, Help for Windows 10 and all things Microsoft. https://ift.tt/2zwZBOo
via IFTTT

No comments:

Post a Comment